IMPORTANT: Syscoin Spark support and functionality ended in May of 2021. If you already have Syscoin Spark or the LODE Desktop wallet installed, you can follow these instructions to retrieve your private keys.
How do I backup my wallet?
There are two methods to back up your wallet:
Method 1: Simple
1. Use the "wallet > backup wallet" menu item and securely store the resulting wallet.dat file. You can reimport this to a new wallet by closing the wallet, dropping it in the new Syscoin data directory, and restarting the wallet. This method WILL retain password-encryption if you have encrypted your wallet.
2. Select the folder on your computer where you would like to backup your wallet and click the "Open" button.
Your wallet.dat file will be stored in your selected folder. Make sure you back this up (preferably in more than one location) via a USB drive (you can simply copy the wallet.dat file to your chosen backup location).
Method 2: More complex, required for major upgrades
Use the "wallet > dump wallet" menu item and securely store the resulting file. You can reimport this using "wallet > import wallet" from a new wallet. IMPORTANT: This method will not retain password-encryption if you have encrypted your wallet. Make sure you encrypt the new wallet when importing it to a new wallet.
2. Rename the file to what you would like and choose the folder where you would like it to be backed up. Click on the "Save" button.
You will receive a confirmation message indicating that the wallet is successfully dumped. Your dumpwallet file will be stored in your previously selected folder. Make sure you back this up (preferably in more than one location) via a USB drive (you can simply copy the wallet.dat file to your chosen backup location).
CAUTION: dumpwallet files are not secured with a password, make sure you delete this file after you have imported it to your new wallet, or anyone that has access to the file could potentially steal your funds.
How do I get my private keys?
Private keys differ by address. If you have generated multiple addresses you will have a different private key for each address.
1. Copy and the address you want to get the key for (read "How to get your Public Key" article for more details), then using the menu system click “Tools > Open Console”.
2. Enter the command "dumpprivkey" followed by the Public Key in question.
3. Press enter and your key will be shown in the dialog. Copy the long string data that appears between the quotation marks, this is your Private Key.
CAUTION: Keep these private keys in a very secure place, anyone who sees or has access to your private keys will be able to access your funds without requiring password authentication.
What happens to my wallet if I do not back it up and my hard disk is corrupted?
You will lose access to your funds permanently; so always make sure to always back up your wallet.
Say if I subsequently get a new PC, would I be able to transfer my wallet to my new PC?
Yes. If you have backed up your wallet and have access to the backup or the raw private keys you will be able to restore your access to your funds but you must use the Syscoin-qt wallet to restore access to your funds.
Have questions? Take a look at the full list of step-by-step procedures provided for the LODE community.
If you still have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to the support team by clicking on the chat icon at the bottom right of your screen (see image below).
Alternatively, you can also email email@example.com with your full name, username, Lode ID and email you use for the members portal, providing a detailed explanation of the issue you are having and someone contact with you within a business day.